Strawberry ShortcakeMonday, June 11, 2012 : BFG Chef
Active time: 45 minutes
1 pint - strawberries, washed, hulled and cut into halves
Whipped cream, sweet biscuits, custard sauce and the best local strawberries you can find conspire to make summer magic.
- In a 1 qt stainless bowl, combine the strawberries and mix in 1/4 cup of Bacardi strawberries mix.
- Cut short cake biscuits in half and lay each bottom on a 6 inch round plate.
- Distribute the strawberries mixture evenly on top of each biscuit and place the other half of the biscuit on top.
- Drizzle 2 ounces of Crème Anglaise over the exposed strawberries and the remaining on the plate.
- Place 3 over heaping tablespoons of whipped cream on top of biscuit and garnish with a sprig of mint, if you like.
1 cup of half and half
2 each egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place 1 qt of water into a two quart pot and bring to a simmer.
- Place a stainless steel bowl on top of the simmering water, being careful of the rising steam.
- Pour half and half into stainless bowl and stirring frequently until the temperature reaches about 100 degrees.
- In a separate bowl mix egg yolks, sugar and vanilla.
- Whisking constantly, slowly add warm half and half to the egg mixture; then pour back into the stainless steel bowl (that is over simmering water).
- Stir constantly until the custard sauce becomes creamy and coats the back of a spoon (temperature should be approx. 170 degrees).
- Strain the mixture into a clean container with a lid.
- Allow to cool to 40 degrees before using.